Chain Wear Gauge
The FB Chain Wear Gauge is a tool that accurately measures leaf chain and roller chain wear and indicates the percentage of elongation so you know when it’s time to replace your leaf chain safely.
Leaf chain failure, unless it’s the result of a sudden breakage due to operator error, shock load or overload, is normally a gradual process in which the leaf chain or roller chain elongates as it wears.
The accumulative effect of leaf chain wear is a significant increase in the actual pitch of the leaf chain.
The FB Chain Wear Gauge has been primarily designed for the measurement of leaf chain or forklift leaf chain wear.
It can also be used to accurately measure all leaf chain and roller chain with an imperial pitch ranging from 3/8″ to 3″.
When conducting leaf chain inspections it is recommended to observe the requirements of:
- The Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations (LOLER) 1998
- The Provision & Safe Use of Work Equipment Regulations (PUWER) 1998
- The FLTA Technical Bulletin 02
- The BITA Guidance Notes GN15 and GN28
Competent persons carrying out safety inspections should also meet the requirements of BS EN45004:1995.
The following features are considered absolutely necessary for the correct measurement of leaf chain:
- The ‘how much worn’ chain gauge must be accurate
- Results must be consistent and repeatable
- The results must be clear and not require calculation
- The chain wear gauge should be easy to use
- Measurement results should be easily demonstrated to end users
- The instrument must be robust and professional